Thursday 21 June 2012

Welcome to the wild west


What's a cowboy without his horse right?  I made the challenge to animate a quadruped, not only as a test to my skills, but to gain the experience.  I'll tell you it was NOT easy, but the final result was definitely worth gazing at after much hard work.

NOTE: The horse was modeled by Tim Mayo and rigged by Christopher Carson, credit to noxlabs.com




Quadrupeds are a challenge to animate. With many different body mechanics to pay attention to, you'll be better off studying the anatomy of the animal first and watching LOTS of reference before you start animating one. I animated this cycle to show the horse as if it was fatigued and thirsty from a scorching hot desert.

Speaking of desert...




Yeah I wouldn't want to be stuck there either. This is the desert I modeled for my short film. Due to time restrictions I opted to keep it really simple, but the scale is quite large nonetheless. I really wanted to make it feel as though the Cowboy was lost and hopeless in a massive desert.

Waited long enough?  Time to check out my short film!

No comments: